Six essential questions to ask yourself when picking paint colours.
Choosing the right type of wall paint colour for your space can be a daunting task. With plenty of options available, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and unsure of where to start. However, by asking yourself a few key questions, you can narrow down your choices and find the perfect paint colour that suits your style and personality. In this blog post, we will explore six essential questions that will guide you towards choosing the right colour for your home:
1. What mood do you want to create? The first step in choosing a paint colour is to determine the mood you want to establish in your space. Are you looking for a cosy and relaxing atmosphere or do you prefer a vibrant and energetic ambiance? Consider the purpose of the space and the emotions you wish to evoke. For instance, warm tones like soft yellows or earthy browns can create a calming effect while bold shades like reds or blues can add drama and excitement.
2. What is the lighting like in the room? Lighting plays a big role in how paint colours appear. Natural light and artificial lighting can influence the overall look and feel of a space. Take note of how much natural light enters the room and at what times of the day. Additionally, consider the type of artificial lighting you have, such as warm or cool-toned bulbs. Some colours may look different under various lighting conditions, so it’s essential to test paint swatches under different lighting scenarios before making a final decision.
3. What are the existing elements in the room? Consider the existing elements in the room, such as furniture, flooring, and decor. These elements should complement the paint colour you choose. Take into account the colour schemes already present and select a paint colour that harmonises with them. If you have neutral-toned furniture, you may opt for a bold and vibrant paint colour to add personality. Alternatively, if you have coloured or patterned furnishings, a more neutral paint colour may be the best choice to create balance.
4. What is your personal style? Your style and preferences should guide your paint colour selection. Do you lean towards a more minimalist aesthetic or prefer a bohemian and eclectic vibe? Consider the colours that resonate with you and reflect your personality. If you’re unsure, take inspiration from your wardrobe or favourite artwork. Your paint colour should be an expression of your unique taste and create a space that feels like home.
5. How will the paint colour transition between rooms? If you’re painting multiple rooms or an open-concept space, it’s important to consider how the paint colours will flow and interact with one another. Aim for a cohesive and harmonious transition by selecting colours that work well together. You can choose different shades of the same colour family or opt for complementary colours to create a visually appealing transition between rooms.
6. Will the paint colour stand the test of time? While it’s essential to consider current trends and your personal style, it’s also crucial to choose a paint colour that will stand the test of time. Trends come and go, so selecting a classic and timeless colour can ensure that your space remains stylish for years to come. Neutral tones like whites, greys, or beiges are versatile choices that can adapt to changing decor and design trends.
Choosing the right paint colour for your space involves thoughtful consideration of your desired mood, lighting conditions, existing elements, personal style, room transitions, and longevity. By asking yourself these six questions and reflecting on your preferences, you can make an informed decision that will transform your house into a reflection of your personality and create a space that you love to spend time in. Or you can simply schedule a consultation with Berger Express Painting, our experts can help you explore colour options, and the best type of paint for interior walls.
You can also connect with us by clicking on the ‘Get in Touch’ button below and filling out a short form.
If you found this article useful, check out our blog on, “Here’s How Often You Should Paint A Room”